Thursday, November 27, 2008

Christian Fiction Lesson - Thoghts on the Reading

The "definition" of Christian Fiction as affirming reads with a Christian view; inspirational was simple but clear. I hadn't thought about what would be classics in this genre and was surprised but understod the inclusion of Hawthorne and Uncle Tom's Cabin. Grace Livingston Hill is one author I knew - I learned about these soon after working in a public library.
The sub-genres helped clarify CF for me too:
contemporary - cope with life but with Christian themes and a messge of redemption through Christ - so people of deep religious thought would read contemporary - in my ignorance without reading the text I might have thought contemporary was less religious. I still haven't researched for myself what an Evangelical Christian is but perhaps contemporary fits their interest - find time to research this - if you're not an Evangelical you mostly think of the political aspect or certain preachers.
Christian romance - I'd like to doublecheck if the Harlequin imprint for C.R. still exists. We don't have a separate Christian fiction section - I wonder if these are shelved with our Romance genre in paperbacks? Need to check!
Historical C.F. - This is what I read. I see the definition is post WWII era - have to review why that is.
Gentle Reads definition - no explicit sex, violence or bad language makes sense. Are readers familiar with "gentle reads" designation. Do book jackets help?

How much cross-over is there for people who read Gentle Reads Christian fiction - will they read "innocent" romance or is the religious aspect (setting?) of the book the pre-eminent qualifier for what is read?

No comments: